The GAA club: – A background
Touraneena is a small country parish situated approximately 12 miles from Dungarvan and 16 miles from Clonmel. Geographically, the village is located between the Comeragh and the Knockmealdown Mountains. The majority of people in the area come from a farming background with others finding place of employment in the both Dungarvan and Clonmel.
From the early forties to the late sixties there was no consistent GAA club in the Touraneena area. Before the barn years the Sliabh gCua football club was formed in 1927 and existed for nine years with an odd year excluded. History was created in 1936 when the club captured their first Junior county football title defeating Fenor in a replay.
Even though there was no club for 34 years, players within the parish still played an active part in county competitions assisting other neighbouring clubs such as Fourmilewater, Colligan, The Nire and Affane. It was against this background that the club Sliabh gCua – St. Mary’s was refounded in 1970.