It has also been announced recently that Albert Burke will train the St. Mary’s hurling teams this year. Albert was part of the very good Sliabh gCua/St. Mary’s teams that contested many Western and County Finals between 1978 and 1983. Albert also won two County Finals with Roanmore in the late 1980’s and was also a selector with the Waterford Minor Hurling team in 1995.

St. Mary’s 0-12

Colligan 0-5

St. Mary’s Intermediate hurlers led from start to finish in this losers group Intermediate hurling championship game. Played at the Fraher field on Sunday evening last and ran out deserving winners, they will now play the winners of Fourmilewater V Ballysaggart game. For Colligan, this was another disappointing performance as, while they did display some improvement on their showing against Lismore, they never really looked like overcoming their rivals here.

In the opening half, St. Mary’s had the better of the scoring exchanges as sharp-shooter, J.P. Fitzpatrick riffled over 0-6 to show that he remains an excellent forward, as good as one will find in this grade. St. Mary’s other point came per left half forward, John Ahearne, son of former Colligan star, John Ahearne. At the other end of the pitch, the Colligan attack shot a total of nine wides. Their first score did not come until the 20th minute from a John Wall free with Liam O’ Reilly and Benny McGrath adding further points (0-7) to (0-3) at the interval.

On the turnover, John Wall scored two points to reduce the leeway to three points (0-8 to 0-5). However, they failed to raise another flag while St. Mary’s tacked on four points per John Ahearne (0-2), J.P. Fitzpatrick and Kieran Hallahan. For St. Mary’s John Hallinan, Seanie Kearns, Pa Hallinan, Ian Dunford, Declan Kiely, John Ahearne, Bert Ahearne, J.P. Fitzpatrick and Kieran Hallahan were best. While John Dunford, Roger Casey, Jimmy Beresford, James Quinlan, Willie Kiely, Alan Walsh, John Wall and Liam Reilly were for Colligan.

Team: John Hallinan, David Meaney, Seanie Kearns, Paul Condon, Brian Whelan, Pa Hallinan, Ian Dunford, David Whelan, Declan Kiely, John Ahearne, Bert Ahearne, J.P. Fitzpatrick, Eamonn Lonergan, Kieran Hallahan, Raymond Ryan.

Subs: Johnny McGrath for David Meaney.

Scorers: J.P. Fitzpatrick (0-8), John Ahearne (0-3), Kieran Hallahan (0-1)

Fourmilewater oust St. Mary’s

The big divisional game of last weekend was the Intermediate hurling championship losers group final at Fraher field and it marked the end of the road for St. Mary’s who went under to next door neighbours Fourmilewater by eight points (2-11) to (1-6).

Fourmilewater did most of the damage in the first half at the end of which they enjoyed a seven point advantage, 2-6 to 0-5. They had to rely exclusively on the scores from J.P. Fitzpatrick who accounted for all but one point of his sides total, and that remaining point came from the stick of his brother Aiden Fitzpatrick. From a Fourmilewater perspective, it was certainly a major step up on recent disappointing form, and if they can maintain this level of performance they will be very difficult to beat in the title race.




The news paper read ‘St. Mary’s come good’

St. Mary’s Intermediate hurlers recorded a fully deserved win over defending Divisional Champions, Abbeyside, in the second Intermediate hurling championship game at the Fraher field on Saturday evening last July the 14th.

A two goal string by John Ahearn, operating at top of the left in the 18th and 21st minutes, saw the Touraneena side ahead by four points at the interval (2-5 to 1-4) with Abbeyside’s goal being kicked to the net in the 8th minute.

On the turn-over, Laurence Hurney landed a neat point before Gary Hurney soloed through to score his side’s second goal in the 35th minute and Damien Cliffe pointed a 39th minute free to put Abbeyside back in front (2-6 to 2-5).

Colm Geary levelled it up in the 40th minute and J.P. Fitzpatrick, who lined out at centre-half-back, to good effect, put St.Mary’s back in front in the 42nd minute (2-7 to 2-6).

In the 46th minute, an onslaught on the St. Mary’s citadel saw the ball, somehow or other, kept out of the net.

A counter-attack down field saw a goal mouth scramble at the other end with John Hallinan finishing to the net in the 48th minute, (3-7 to 2-6).

John Hallinan’s free and the impressive Colm Geary and J. Hallinan again left the position at 3-10 to 2-7 by the 53rd minute. Abbeyside then opted to lob the ball goal wards from five successive frees – when points would have been a better option.

Aiden Fitzpatrick goaled in the 61st minute with J.P Fitzpatrick adding a point (4-11 to 2-8), as St. Mary’s march forwards. While Abbeyside will now play in the losers group.

For St. Mary’s John McGrath, Declan Kiely, J.P. Fitzpatrick, Pa Hallinan, David Whelan, Kieran Hallahan, Colm Geary, Seanie Kearns, John Ahearn, John Hallinan and Denis Coffey all impressed. While Brian Hayes, Gavin Breen, Damien Cliffe, who was their best player, Michael Fives, Gary Hurney, Sean McGrath and Seamo Burns were best for Abbeyside.

Scorers:- J. Ahearn (2-0), J. Hallinan (1-5), A. Fitzpatrick (1-0), J.P. Fitzpatrick (0-4), C. Geary (0-2).

Team: Ryco Ware, Johnny McGrath, Declan Kiely, Paul Condon, Aidan Dalton, J.P. Fitzpatrick, Pa Hallinan, David Whelan, Kieran Hallahan, Colm Geary, Seanie Kearns, John Ahearn, Aiden Fitzpatrick, John Hallinan, Denis Coffey.

Fourmilewater come out on top in close contest

Fourmilewater 0-10

St. Mary’s 0-05

The West Waterford Intermediate Hurling Championship semi-final replay at Fraher field, Dungarvan on Sunday was a hard fought contest between two very committed sides. Fourmilewater led at both half time and full time but they were mot assured of victory until half midway through the second period when a Brian Wall point gave them a four points cushion.

The winners made the better start with points from Tom Flynn and Michael Guiry after only four minutes of play but St. Mary’s were back on parity by the 10th minute thanks to two converted J.P. Fitzpatrick frees, the second from the half way line. Mary’s deservedly took the lead with an excellent David Whelan point at the end of the opening quarter but it was the only time they were leading in the game.

The sides were level twice in the second quarter before a brace of points from Shane Walsh in the closing eight minutes of the half saw Fourmile lead by 0-6 to 0-4 at the break. In an effort to strengthen their forwards division St. Mary’s moved J. P. Fitzpatrick to attack but they still found scores hard to come by against a tenacious Fourmilewater defence in which Rory Rice, Ian and Liam Walsh were outstanding. Midfield Pat Walsh and Brian Wall also helped out in defence when needed and between them contributed three of their side’s scores. Fourmilewater led by double scores 0-8 to 0-4 entering the final quarter after Wall and Guiry found the range while Fitzpatrick’s goal effort for Mary’s which they so badly needed, ended in the side netting with sixteen minutes remaining. Nineteen minutes of the second period had elapsed before St. Mary’s had their one and only score of the second half a Colm Geary point from a free leaving only three points between the sides but it was as close as they came and it was Fourmilewater who finished the game the stronger with points from Wall and Ger Walsh to deservingly clinch their place in the October 27th final against Colligan Rockies.

The margin of victory would have even been bigger but for an excellent save by Ryco Ware in the Mary’s goal in the 54th minute to deny Seamus Cuddy a goal.

Scorers for Fourmilewater :- B. Wall, M. Guiry, G. Walsh 0-2 each, T. Flynn and P. Walsh 0-1 each.

Scorers for St. Mary’s:- J.P. Fitzpatrick and Colm Geary 0-2 each, David Whelan 0-1.

Fourmilewater: E. Wall, R. Rice, A. Ryan, J. Walsh, M. Walsh, G. Walsh, L. Walsh, P. Walsh, B. Wall, S. Walsh, G. Walsh, T. Flynn, P. Halpin, S. Cuddy, M. Guiry.

Subs:- A. Walsh for Halpin.

St. Mary’s:- Ryco Ware, Pa Hallinan, Declan Kiely, Paul Condon, J.P. Fitzpatrick, Bert Ahearne, Ian Dunford, David Whelan, Kieran Hallahan, Colm Geary, Seanie Kearns, Denis Coffey, Aiden Fitzpatrick , Adrian Lonergan, John Ahearne.

Referee:- T. O’Sullivan, Cappoquin/Affane.


Sliabh gCua 2-14

Affane 2-05

Sliabh gCua 4-09

Emmetts 1-04 (Semi final)

Ring Win Western Intermediate Football title

Ring 3-07

Sliabh gCua 0-08

Ring intermediate footballers eventually came good at the Fraher Field on Saturday afternoon last to see off a very determined challenge from a Sliabh gCua XV which had the better of the first-half exchanges during which they played more combined football.

Ring, to their credit, with the help of some shrewd switches by their selectors, gradually played themselves back into contention and in the end, ran out deserving winners.

Sliabh gCua opened the brighter side, playing down into the country goal. Despite the fact that they had to reshuffle their team due to the fact that wing back, Quintan Hickey was forced to cry-off due to an injury and veteran, John Hallinan opened the scoring with a point in the 7th minute. JP Fitzpatrick, who had been switched to wing back in the pre-match reshuffle, surged downfield to score a fine point in the 11th minute before Eugene Curran got the Gaeltacht side off the mark with a pointed free in the 13th minute.

In the 15th minute, Kieran Hallahan landed a magnificent point from a free and it took a timely interception by Ring’s full back, Liam Curran, to deny Sliabh gCua a goal. Aidan Fitzpatrick landed a fourth point for the Touraneena side in the 20th minute (0-4 to 0-1) and the trend of the play had seen the pre-match favorites, Ring well outplayed in most sectors.

In the 10th minute, the Ring mentors had sprung Daragh Breathnach from the bench to take over at centre half back as big Seanie Kearns was having much the better of matters against young, Cillian O Murchuda who was switched to wing-forward. Gradually, Daragh Breathnach got to grips with the exchanges, ably supported by Tomas Breathnach, Padraig O Hartaigh, Liam Curran, Eanna de Faoite and Sean O Hartaigh to put up the shutters in the second half.

Young Liam Lenane who was again to have a big input in the outcome of this final, pointed in the 25th minute. Eugene Curran pointed a 27th minute free, yet David Whelan, who was playing very well at centre field, had the final point of the break, Sliabh gCua deservingly led by 0-5 to 0-3.

Quick free

On the turn over, the pattern remained the same. Yet Kieran Hallahan was off target from a close in free before Ring won a 35th minute free and Eugene Curran seized up the situation as he opted for a quick free, driving the ball low into the net past the unprepared Sliabh gCua defenders to put Ring in front for the first time in the game (1-3 to 0-5). John Hallinan pointed in the 38th minute to level it up at 1-3 to 0-6. Liam Lenane and David Whelan exchanged points to leave them still dead-locked at 1-4 to 0-7.

Finally, Ring got the vital break when Liam Lenane put Cian O Conchuir in for a goal in the 46th minute. Liam Lenane and Eugene Curran added points and suddenly there was daylight between the sides (2-6 to 0-7).

John Ahearne, who had been re-introduced, had a fine point for Sliabh gCua in the 54th minute with David Whelan’s drive for the net being well saved by Tomas O Cadhla.

Seamie McGrath fisted Eamon Crotty’s neat lob to the net in the 58th minute with Tomas Breathnach having the final say with a 60th minute point (3-7 to 0-8). Sean Fitzgerald was best at centre field with Eugene Curran, Seamie McGrath, Liam Lenane, Cian O’Connor and Eamon Crotty all making an impact up front.

Sliabh gCua did well up to the three-quarter stage with Paul Condon, Roger McGrath, JP Fitzpatrick, Declan Kiely, David Whelan, Seanie Kearns, and John Hallinan, all having their moments. However, the one player who stood out for them was pacey wing back, Denis Coffey who covered a great deal of ground as well as displaying some neat footballing skills.


After the game, Board chairman, Paddy Walsh presented the cup to Ring captain, Liam Curran.

Ring scorers: Eugene Curran (1-3), Seamie McGrath (1-0), Cian O’Connor (1-0), Liam Lenane (0-3) T. Walsh (0-1).

Sliabh gCua scorers: John Hallinan (0-2), David Whelan (0-2), JP Fitzpatrick (0-1), Aiden Fitzpatrick (0-1), John Ahearne (0-1), Kieran Hallahan (0-1).

Ring: T. O’Cadhla, P.O’Hartaigh, L. O’Cuirrin, E. DeFaoite, T. Breathnach, C. O’Murchadha, S. O’Hartaigh, S. Mac Gearailt, E. Breathnach, T. Mac Craith, T. O’Currin, L. De Gras, S. Mac Craith, E. O’Crotaigh, C. O’Conchuir.

Subs: D. Breathhach for T. Mac Craith, L. O’Lonain for De Gras.

Sliabh gCua: R. Ware, J. McGrath, P. Condon, R. McGrath, D. Coffey, D. Kiely, J.P. Fitzpatrick, D. Whelan, I. Dunford, A. Fitzpatrick, S. Kearns, J. Ahearne, K. Hallahan, J. Hallinan, J. Condon.

Subs: E. Lonergan for J. Condon, A. Dalton for J. Ahearne, Ahearne for Hallahan.

Referee: Pat Moore, Ballinacourty.



Easy for Sliabh gCua

Sliabh gCua 1-13

Affane 1-4

Sliabh gCua Intermediate Footballers were master of all the surveyed at the Fraher field on Saturday evening last when they ran out winners over Affane by nine points in this first round Championship game.

Sliabh gCua led at the interval by 1-4 to 0-2 with Aidan Fitzpatrick scoring their goal in the 19th minute.

On the turnover, with the breeze to their backs, Kieran Hallahan, David Whelan, John Ahearne, Ian Dunford and J.P. Fitzpatrick all added points.

At the other end, Tom Mansfield in the 56th minute blasted a penalty to the net. It was another example of how to take a penalty.

Scorers: – Sliabh gCua A. Fitzpatrick 1-0, J. Ahearne 0-3, I. Dunford 0-3, J.P. Fitzpatrick 0-2, D. Whelan 0-2.

Scorers: – Affane: T. Mansfield 1-2, P. Landers 0-2.

Team: Royco Ware, Dermot Lonergan, Declan Kiely, Paul Condon, Johnny McGrath, John Hallinan, Denis Coffey, Bert Ahearne, David Whelan, J.P. Fitzpatrick, Seanie Kearns, Ian Dunford, Aidan Fitzpatrick, Kieran Hallahan, John Ahearne.

Clashmore in sparking form

Clashmore 4-12

Sliabh gCua 1-4

Clashmore Intermediate footballers were in sparkling form in this championship game at the Fraher Field on Saturday evening last. It wasn’t the case of Sliabh gCua being bad, it was simply that they were completely outclassed by a Clashmore XV, who were very much on a mission here as they combined brilliantly throughout the length and breadth of the pitch.

Clashmore’s total dominance was best emphasized by the fact that they led at he interval by the staggering amount of 15 points (3-7 to 0-1). Roger Ryan, receiving from veteran Pat Hynes, scored their first goal in the 12th minute.

Another excellent movement ended with Mike Fenton crashing in their second goal in the 19th minute. While in the 26th minute, Stephen Barron scored their third goal.

On the turnover Aiden Fitzpatrick collected the ball, which he rebounded back off the crossbar in the 38th minute to score Sliabh gCua’s goal, still Clashmore remained on top and sub, Joe Collins slotted home their fourth goal in the 56th minute.

This was a very business like performance but Clashmore who have now unquestionably set out their stall and it’s going to take a good team to stop their gallop. That’s if there is such a team out there.

It’s pointless picking out individuals here, yet I have rarely seen Karl O’Keeffe and Stephen Barron so sharp.

Sliabh gCua scorers: Aiden Fitzpatrick (1-0), Denis Coffey (0-2), John Hallinan (0-2) and David Whelan (0-1).

Team: Royco Ware, Dermot Lonergan, Roger McGrath, Paul Condon, Johnny McGrath, Seanie Kearns, Quintan Hickey, Bert Ahearne, David Whelan, Ian Dunford, Declan Kiely, Denis Coffey, Aiden Fitzpatrick, John Hallinan, J.P. Fitzpatrick.

Subs: John Ahearne, James Condon and Darren O’Connor.


St. Mary’s Battle Back to Earn Replay

St. Mary’s 2-8

Colligan 2-8

In the 51st minute of this keenly – contested Intermediate hurling Championship encounter, played at the Fraher field on Saturday evening last, Colligan’s star attacker, John Wall, volleyed the ball first time to the net to give his side a six point lead, 2-8 to 0-8 in all, Wall scored 1-7 here.

St. Mary’s who were shown as Sliabh gCua on the scoreboard, had other ideas on the subject and Aiden Fitzpatrick cut through the Rockies defence in the 55th minute, before lashing the ball to the net for a magnificent goal.

Then, in the 60th minute, John Ahearne (who, of course, has close Colligan connections), worked his way goalwards only for his shot for the net to be saved by Rockies keeper J.D. Casey, who earlier denied Seanie Kearns what looked to be a certain goal with a magnificent save in the 40th minute.

As the ball rebounded up in the air, only for the incoming Seanie Kearns to bat the ball to the net. 2-8 each and another day beckons for both teams. After a poor enough first half, St. Mary’s led at the break by 0-4 to 0-3.

Veteran, Jimmy Beresford, got past his marker, Declan Kiely, in the 39th minute to kick the ball to the net and that score seemed to lift Colligan’s efforts to greater heights and when J.P. Fitzpatrick, who played at centre-half-back to good effect, blasted a 41st minute semi-penalty over the bar, it looked more like a Colligan victory. Alan Walsh, Willie Kiely, Tom Kiely, Sean Dempsey, Kevin Casey, John Wall and Jimmy Beresford stood out as they went six points clear by the 51st minute.

St. Mary’s were well served by Royco Ware, Declan Kiely, Ian Dunford, J.P. Fitzpatrick, Denis Coffey, David Whelan, Seanie Kearns, Colm Geary, Aiden Fitzpatrick and John Ahearne and they duly earned a second chance. They were short the services of Bert Ahearne, while Colligan were short John Dunford. Pat Dunford came on in the second half to good effect.


St. Mary’s: Seanie Kearns 1-2, Aiden Fitzpatrick 1-0, J.P. Fitzpatrick 0-2. John Ahearne, Kieran Hallahan, Ian Dunford and Colm Geary 0-1 each.

Colligan: John Wall 1-7, Jimmy Beresford 1-1.

Team: Royco Ware, Johnny McGrath, Declan Kiely, Paul Condon, Ian Dunford, J.P. Fitzpatrick, Denis Coffey, David Whelan, Quintan Hickey, Colm Geary, Seanie Kearns, Kieran Hallahan, John Ahearne, John Hallinan, Aiden Fitzpatrick.

Subs: Dermot Lonergan for Kieran Hallahan.

St. Mary’s Impress in Intermediate Hurling Championship Replay

St. Mary’s 1-13

Colligan 0-6

St. Mary’s Intermediate Hurlers powered their way to a comprehensive ten-point victory over local rivals, Colligan, in this first round Championship replay, played in the rain at the Fraher Field on Sunday evening last.

Colligan, with points from Noelie Drohan and Kevin Casey raced into an early lead before Denis Coffey, St. Mary’s regular wingback, who lined out at center-half-forward, raced through for a neat point. Outstanding Colm Geary had them level with a second point in the eighth minute. In all, from both frees and play, Colm Geary scored 0-8 here in what was his best ever performance in the St. Mary’s colours.

With points from John Wall and former County Star, Jimmy Beresford, Colligan

Were back in front by the 12th minute. However, the every accurate Colm Geary and a point from young Brian Whelan ensured that St. Mary’s were fully deserving of their half time lead of three points (0-7 to 0-3).

On the turnover the game quickly developed into one way traffic as Colm Geary (0-2) and J.P. Fitzpatrick (0-1), who had another outstanding hour at center-half-back, stretched their lead to six points (0-10 to 0-4) before John Wall pointed for Colligan. The Colligan flyer was closely policed by Ian Dunford here.

In the 40th minute Denis Coffey raced through the Colligan defense to do the spadework as full forward Seanie Kearns, scored the only goal of the game and Kearns had some hectic duels with Colligan fullback, Alan Walsh. While Willie Kiely and substitute, John Dunford battled well at corner back.

Surprisingly, John Wall went for a goal from a 35 yard free in the 42nd minute, only for the ball to rebound back off a defender. Colm Geary, Denis Coffey and Seanie Kearns added further, before Jimmy Beresford had a final Colligan point in the 60th minute.

For St. Mary’s, Royco Ware, Declan Kiely, Paul Condon, John Ahearne, David Whelan, Denis Coffey and Seanie Kearns were others to impress in an excellent team performance.

For Colligan it’s a game best forgotten as they were well beaten here.

Scorers: St. Mary’s: – Seanie Kearns (1-1), Colm Geary (0-8), Denis Coffey (0-2), J.P. Fitzpatrick (0-1) and Brian Whelan (0-1).

Team: Royco Ware, Johnny McGrath, Declan Kiely, Paul Condon, Ian Dunford, J.P. Fitzpatrick, Quintan Hickey, John Ahearne, David Whelan, Colm Geary, Denis Coffey, Brian Whelan, Aiden Fitzpatrick, Seanie Kearns, Dermot Lonergan.

Click on picture to view action


Action from the replay against Colligan

St. Mary’s pull clear in the second half

St. Mary’s 0-15

Ballsaggart 0-08

St. Mary’s Intermediate hurlers, after a very even first half, eventually pulled clear in the second half to record a fully deserved victory in the opening game at the Cappoquin venue on Sunday afternoon last when they scored nine second half points, as opposed to Ballsaggart’s two.

The exchanges were always extra keen here and in the final quarter, Ballsaggart’s David Nugent, who earlier had received a yellow card, was sent off with a second yellow and a red to effectively end Ballsaggart’s spirited challenge.

The teams were on level terms at 0-6 each at the half-time break, during which St. Mary’s David Whelan, who had been playing well at centrefield, had to retire, injured with John Hallinan coming in. Colm Geary 0-3, J.P. Fitzpatrick 0-2 (from two 80 yard frees) and David Whelan 0-1 scored St. Mary’s first half points with veteran Pat Bennett 0-3 frees, Tom Bennett, Tom Landers and Mark Kearney 0-1 each, on target for Ballsaggart.

On the turnover St. Mary’s, playing into the road goal, gradually began to exert their control on the proceedings, with Declan Kiely in magnificent form at full-back with J.P. Fitzpatrick improving at centre-half-back. John Ahearne’s switch to centrefield worked well, while the display of their two speedsters, Denis Coffey and Colm Geary did much to open up the Ballsaggart defence. While Seanie Kearns won a deal of possession at full-forward to earn some vital frees. He had to retire with a hand injury late in the game.

In all, Colm Geary contributed 0-9 here in an excellent performance. A very workmanlike performance then from St. Mary’s who are a well balanced outfit.

Scorers: Colm Geary 0-9, J.P. Fitzpatrick 0-2, Denis Coffey, John Hallinan, David Whelan, John Ahearne 0-1 each.

Team: Royco Ware, Johnny McGrath, Declan Kiely, Paul Condon, Ian Dunford, J.P. Fitzpatrick, Quintan Hickey, Bert Ahearne, David Whelan, Denis Coffey, Dermot Lonergan, John Ahearne, Colm Geary, Seanie Kearns, Aiden Fitzpatrick.

Subs: John Hallinan for David Whelan, Kieran Hallahan for Dermot Lonergan, Tristan Hickey for Quintan Hickey, Brian Whelan for Seanie Kearns.

Last year’s Junior Champions through to Intermediate Final

Ardmore 1-12

St. Mary’s 0-09

Ardmore, last year’s County Junior Champions, better-balanced side, eventually saw off a determined St. Mary’s challenge in the second of the Intermediate Hurling semi-finals played at Fraher Field on Saturday afternoon last. Ardmore pulled clear in the final quarter to record a richly deserved victory for their young, yet relatively experienced team.

All week long the big talking point concerning this Semi-final game was the fact that the Prendergast brothers, Seamus and Declan, had flown out to Turkey on a well-deserved sun holiday. However, anyone who knows anything about the total commitment of three generations of the Prendergast family to Ardmore, knew only too well that they would b home and so they were flying home two days early on Friday night.

That both brothers made a massive contribution to their hard-earned victory is not in doubt, with Seamus contributing 0-8, while Declan, who starred at centre-half-back, added 0-1 for good measure.

Firmly Balanced

The first half was firmly balanced, as the teams were on level terms on no less than four occasions in the opening 17 minutes. Yet, by half time, the initiative had begun to swing in Ardmore’s direction as they led by three points (0-8 to 0-5) with S. Prendergast 0-5: B. Harty 0-1 and Richie Hennessy 0-1 on target for them. While Kieran Hallahan 0-2, J.P. Fitzpatrick 0-1 and Colm Geary 0-1 replied for St. Mary’s.

On the turnover, St. Mary’s who were short the services of David Whelan, made their bid but flitted away some good scoring opportunities, with a brace of pointed frees per Colm Geary in the 36th and 43rd minutes, being their only reward (0-8 to 0-7). Up stepped Declan Prendergast to land a massive point from a 90 yard free in the 44th minute. Seamus Prendergast pointed in the 48th minute (0-10 to 0-7).

In the 50th minute Seanie Kearns, heading goalwards, was grounded with J.P. Fitzpatrick blasting for goal from the resultant 20 metre free, only to see his well-struck effort saved. Substitute, John Conway (53rd minute); Seamus Prendergast (55th minute) added points (0-12 to 0-7. John Ahearne pulled one back in the 56th minute (0-12 to 0-8).

Any remaining doubts as to the outcome were dispelled in the 57th minute when, with Royco Ware injured while effecting a save, corner-forward, Donal Lennane, pounced to put the ball in the net (1-12 to 0-9). Ardmore was through to a western final showdown with Abbeyside.

James O’Donnell was excellent between the posts; Patrick Conway, ably assisted by Austin Flavin and Maurice Hennessy in the half-line; Declan Prendergast was backed up well by M. O’Connor and the flying Richie Hennessy.

Cathal and Niall Hennessy played well at centre field: all of their forwards worked hard with Billy Harty, John Hennessy and C. O’Connor achieving most.

St. Mary’s defenders did well overall with Johnny McGrath, Declan Kiely, Paul Condon, Ian Dunford, J.P. Fitzpatrick and Quentin Hickey impressing, as did Royco Ware, until forced out injured with John Hallinan taking over in the goal. John Ahearne impressed at centre-field where Bert Ahearne worked hard. Up front St. Mary’s could not get the goal they so badly needed, but it was not from lack of effort.

Scorers: Colm Geary (0-3), Kieran Hallinan (0-2), J.P. Fitzpatrick, John Ahearne, Brian Whelan and Aiden Fitzpatrick (0-1 each).

Team: Team: Royco Ware, Johnny McGrath, Declan Kiely, Paul Condon, Ian Dunford, J.P. Fitzpatrick, Quintan Hickey, Bert Ahearne, John Ahearne, Colm Geary, Denis Coffey, John Hallinan, Kieran Hallahan, Seanie Kearns, Aiden Fitzpatrick.

Subs: Dermot Lonergan, Tristan Hickey, Brian Whelan, John Myles, Adrian Lonergan, and John Queally.



Sliabh gCua 0-6 Brickey Rangers 4-09

On Saturday night last we played the Brickey Rangers in the first round of the Intermediate Championship at the Callahan venue. This was our forth Championship game in fifteen days, which is crazy for a small country club. With a large number of injuries, we just managed to field a team. In the first half, we played well, and points from David Whelan and Declan Kiely kept us in the game. Throughout the second half we battled on bravely, but a few goals from the Brickey’s put the game out of our reach. Well done to all our players for giving such a great effort on the night and the last two weeks.

Team: Brendan O’Dwyer, Brian Whelan, Sean Kearns, Paul Condon, Quintan Hickey, John Fitzgerald, David Meaney, David Whelan, Adrian Lonergan, John Queally, John Ahearne, J.P. Fitzpatrick, Darren O’Connor, Declan Kiely, Patrick Coffey.

Subs: Bert Ahearne, Jack Power, Willie Power and the loyal and out again of retirement Pat Hearn.


St. Mary’s earn a draw

Dungarvan 1-11 St. Mary 1-11

We played Dungarvan on Sunday afternoon last at 2.00pm in Cappoquin. We were under severe pressure as we played with a depleted team due to the leaving Cert. Exams and injuries to several key players, John Hallinan was on Holidays, Kieran Hallahan had an ankle injury as due to shortage of body’s had to stand in goal for the hour. Tristan, Jack & Willie were all sitting there exams. For the last two weeks we tried unsuccessfully to get the game postponed. Also the Waterford footballers were playing All-Ireland winners Armagh in Waterford at 2.00pm. Our appeal fell on deaf ears in the western Board as we were told that if we didn’t play this game we would be thrown out of the Championship.

As regards the timing of the match, our official time was 7.00pm throw-in. Through the grapevine we heard that the match had been re-fixed for 2.00pm on Sunday. It seems that players do not rate any consideration from Board officials. There was a lot of confusion and uneasiness in the club over the matter. You would wonder what this was all about, as we know this championship couldn’t progress any further due to the success the county team.

Despite Dungarvan’s substantial lead going into the second half of 1-9 to St. Mary’s 0-4 points, St. Mary’s showed fighting spirit to come back and level the game. Amid and despite all the confusion in different local papers about the timing the two different referees, the game was played in a very sporting manner. In the second half, St. Mary’s should great character to climb back an eight-point lead. Points from John Ahearne, Denis Coffey, JP Fitzpatrick, Aiden Fitzpatrick & Bert Ahearne helped St. Mary’s back into contention. The turning point of the game came when center halfback John Fitzgerald struck a free inside his own 70-meter to land the ball into the Dungarvan net.

Team: Kieran Hallinan, John Queally, Seanie Kearns, Paul Condon, Denis Coffey, John Fitzgerald, Quintan Hickey, J.P. Fitzpatrick, David Whelan, Bert Ahearne, Adrian Lonergan, John Ahearne, Aiden Fitzpatrick, Declan Kiely, Brian Whelan.

Subs: Willie Power, Jack Power, David Meaney and Darren O’Connor.

Scorers: John Fitzgerald (1-0), J.P. Fitzpatrick (0-5), Aiden Fitzpatrick (0-2), Denis Coffey (0-1), John Ahearne (0-1), Denis Coffey (0-1) and Bert Ahearne (0-1).

Hurricane Start Led to Victory

St. Mary 3-10 Dungarvan 1-09

After a hurricane like first quarter during which St. Mary’s netted 3-4 as against a single point for Dungarvan, the Touraneena club enjoyed an unexpected 12 points lead and which eventually led to their victory in this splendidly contested replay at Cappoquin on Sunday last.

The goals scored by J.P. Fitzpatrick, John Ahearne and Aiden Fitzpatrick were enough to knock the hearts out of any opposition, but Dungarvan to their credit fought back courageously and thanks to an Alan Harty goal were only seven points in arrears at half time, 3-6 to 1-5.

The blues continued to challenge throughout an evenly contested second half but failed to notch the scores to bring them on terms with the winners.

A feature of the game was the outstanding display of young Jack Power who scored five splendid points from play over the hour. Jack is son of Ned Power – a legendary figure in the St. Mary’s / Sliabh gCua GAA club. A point worth noting is St. Mary’s finished the game scoring 3-10 all from play.

Team: Kieran Hallinan, John Queally, Seanie Kearns, Paul Condon, Willie Power, John Fitzgerald, Quintan Hickey, J.P. Fitzpatrick, David Whelan, Bert Ahearne, Adrian Lonergan, John Ahearne, Aiden Fitzpatrick, Declan Kiely, Jack Power.

Subs: John Hallinan, Brian Whelan, David Meaney and Darren O’Connor.

Scorers: J.P. Fitzpatrick (1-2), Aiden Fitzpatrick (1-2), John Ahearne (1-0), Jack Power (0-5), Bert Ahearne (0-1).

Treading Water at Cappoquin

Abbeyside          3-9     St. Mary’s          1-10

The only reason that this IHC game went ahead at the Cappoquin venue on Sunday evening last, was because both teams wanted it played.  The bottom half of the pitch was waterlogged, following a deluge of rain prior to the game.

Fair dues to the Cappoquin club, who allowed no less than three games to be played on their pitch on Sunday lost.  Player were splashing in water, and in all the circumstances both teams deserve great credit, and likewise referee Tommy O’Sullivan for his sensible handling of the game.

The exchanges were finely balanced in the opening quarter, as St. Mary’s playing into the road goal, led by 0-3 to 0-2.  J.P. Fitzpatrick 0-2, and Bert Ahearne 0-1 had their points with Mark Gorman and Michael Enright off the sod, replying for Abbeyside.  Then the ‘villagers’ got a vital break when the outstanding Damien Cliffe’s first time clearance found John Hurney, who slipped his marker to hammer the ball to the net, 1-2 to 0-3.

Then J.P. Keohan’s 20 metre shot for the net was saved.  Laurence Hurney, Shane Briggs and Mark Gorman’s free added points with the outstanding J.P. Fitzpatrick 0-3 replying, 1-5 to 0-6 at the break.

Five man movement

On the turnover St. Mary’s, displaying great Spirit, won two frees.  The second following a brilliant solo run by county U-21 player Denis Coffey.  J.P. Fitzpatrick pointed both to level up the scoring at 1-5 to 0-8 with 40 minutes played.  The issue was now very much hanging in the balance, as both sets of players were throwing everything in the keenly contested exchanges.

In the 45 Minute, and excellent moment saw James Keohan finding the hard grafting Michael Enright.  He flicked the ball onto Gary Hurney, who switched the ball wide out to left corner.   Where full-forward Laurence Hurney won the race for possession, to centre a tantalising ball across the goal area, where John Hurney rose highest to neatly defect the ball to the net.

One minute later, in the 46th minute, county minor Mark Gorman threaded the ball through to the unmanned Gary Hurney, who landed it to the net.  And when Mark O’Gorman added a 47yth minute point, the ‘villagers’ had opened up a seven-point lead.

Declan Kiely replied with a point before John Phelan set up John Hurney for a point, 3-7 to 0-9 by the 50th minute.  Denis Coffey now in attack pointed and then was in hard luck when his kecked effort went into the side netting.  John Phelan pointed an 85-yard free before Aiden Fitzpatrick soloed through for a goal in the 59th minute, with Gary Hurney having the final point, 3-9 to 1-10.

Scorers: Aiden Fitzpatrick 1-0, J.P. Fitzpatrick 0-7, Denis Coffey 0-1, Bert Ahearne 0-1, Declan Kiely 0-1.

Team: John Hallinan, Johnny McGrath, Sean Kearns, Paul Condon, Willie Power, John Fitzgerald, Denis Coffey, J.P. Fitzpatrick, David Whelan, Bert Ahearne, Declan Kiely, John Ahearne, Aiden Fitzpatrick, Adrian Lonergan, Jack Power.

Subs:  Tristan Hickey for Jack Power, John Queally for John Ahearne.  Darren O’Connor, Brian Whelan. 



John Leahy links up with St. Mary’s

IT’S the coup of the year so far in the county. The great John Leahy of Tipperary hurling fame is set to take a firm hands on role in the training of the St. Mary’s intermediate hurlers of Touraneena for the coming year.

The Mullinahone man will act as assistant trainer to former club and county star Declan Fitzpatrick, and that makes up just about the most formidable training duo on the club scene in the entire county.

Now living in nearby Clonmel, the approach to Leahy was made through John Fitzgerald, brother of county man Pat Fitzgerald. Then followed a meeting between the former All-Ireland winning hero and representatives of St. Mary’s/Sliabh gCua including chairman Declan Kiely, Declan Fitzpatrick, and John Fitzgerald.

Leahy was clearly enthusiastic about the prospect of stepping into the St. Mary’s set up. Initially he will be involved in Sunday morning training sessions, with the frequency of his visits to Touraneena likely to be stepped up as the year advances.

Very understandably there’s a right old buzz about the place just now and everyone involved in the St. Mary’s club is excited at the prospect of having such an illustrious name involved with the training of the hurlers.

Leahy however is a man that won’t tolerate anything less than total commitment and he has been given a very definite assurance that it will be forthcoming from everyone in the club. Hats off to St. Mary’s then for securing the services of as big a name as John Leahy. He’s a player who has been through it all at the highest hurling level and his very presence in the St. Mary’s camp should have a beneficial impact on players and mentors alike.

St. Marys                 0-15

Dungarvan               1-10

Five first round games were played in the Western intermediate hurling championship last weekend but the one all the talk has been about was that fiery meeting of neighbours Dungarvan and St. Mary’s(Touraneena) at Cappoquin on Saturday evening.  St. Mary’s garnered the spoils, deservedly, on a 0-15 to 1-10, but Dungarvan will be kicking themselves that they left their second half rally so late. They came within a whisker of hauling back a six point deficit, and in the end time ran out on them as they piled on the pressure in quest of match saving or match winning scores.  What a great pity then that a game which had been manly waged for most of the way should explode into naked warfare with just minutes left on the clock. Don’t ask me who, or how, it started be4cause there will be varying views depending on who you talk to. But what did transpire shed no lustre on either club and while two players were reed carded many more were decidedly fortunate not to have been similarly dealt with.  For a brief spell it was nasty in the extreme and thankfully a referee as firm and resolute as Pat Moore was in charge. He insisted that there would be no resumption of play until the sideline was cleared of subs and mentors from both sides, and when the action restarted there was, thankfully, no resumption of hostilities.  Midfielder J. P. Fitzpatrick gave a superb man of the match performance for St. Mary’s, unerringly pointing from play and frees and essentially was the main difference between the sides.  For Dungarvan none played better than Seamas Cunningham who was tireless throughout and certainly didn’t deserve to end up on the losing team.  

A large crowd was present at the Cappoquin venue to witness this tie.  St. Marys had the tag of favoritism and had the legendary John Leahy as coach.  Dungarvan has youth in their ranks, although injury had deprived them of some of their bug guns.

Early Touraneena dominance saw them register points from JP Fitzpatrick (2), and Denis Coffey.  In the 13th minute an Eoin Cunningham solo run set up Alan Harty to score Dungarvan’s only goal.  Further points from Jack Power pass from Ian Dunford and a JP Fitzpatrick point gave St. Marys a deserved lead.  Their halfback line of Dunford, Fitzgerald and Coffey was in total command.  Points from Alan Harty and Jonathan Regan drew the Blues level.  Aiden Fitzpatrick was fouled and JP Fitzpatrick duly pointed.  Eoin Cunningham pointed and just before the break, JP Fitzpatrick put his in front to leave it 0-7 to 1-3 at the break.

In the first half, Kieran Curran at centre half back, was the pick of the blues outfit, but the move of the match saw inter-county player Denis Coffey move from the halfback line to the forty to curb Curran who was having a blinder.  Early second half pointes by Graham Nagle and Alan Harty saw the Blues hit thee front.  JP Fitzpatrick from frees in the 6th and 9th minute restored the lead.  A late tackle on Graham Nagle gave Alan Harty the chance to tie the scores, 1-6 to 0-9.  Kieran Hallahan, (sub), Denis Coffey and JP Fitzpatrick pointed to put some daylight between the sides.  Graham Nagle 22nd and Alan Harty 23rd minutes narrowed the gap.  Two further Nagle points and a JP Fitzpatrick point ended the scoring to leave St. Marys two points clear. 

Overall the game itself was of a fair standard of hurling and certainly St. Marys well deserved winners.  Many gilt edged chances were squandered by Leahy’s charges.  In JP Fitzpatrick they have a marksman par excellence.  Denis Coffey, Tristan Hickey, Ian Dunford, David Whelan, Jack Power and Kieran Hallahan are all fine hurlers.  There is much room fro improvement, but they deserve to be short listed for outright honours.  An opinion also shared by lifelong supported Pad Joe Queally.

Dungarvan to their credit displayed great heart and spirit.   Ciaran Curran, Graham Nagle, Jonathan Regan, Eoin Cunningham caught the eye, but their halfback, Seamus Cunningham was their man of the match.  Paul Ahearne, goalkeeper made some fine saves, particularly in the opening ten minutes. 

A good win for St. Marys, but Dungarvan lost nothing in defeat.

Scorers: JP Fitzpatrick (0-11, 0-8 Frees), Denis Coffey (0-2), Jack Power (0-1) and Kieran Hallahan (0-1).

Team: John Hallinan, Willie Power, Paul Condon, John Queally, Ian Dunford, John Fitzgerald, Denis Coffey, JP Fitzpatrick, Tom Queally, Tristan Hickey, Declan Kiely, Aiden Fitzpatrick, Jack Power, Seanie Kearns, David Whelan.

Subs: Kieran Hallahan for Declan Kiely.

St. Marys Team V Dungarvan

Back row: Seanie Kearns, Tom Queally, David Whelan, Denis Coffey, John Hallinan, Paul Condon, John Fitzgerald, Willie Power, J.P. Fitzpatrick

Front row: Declan Kiely, Jack Power, Ian Dunford, Aiden Fitzpatrick, Tristan Hickey, John Queally

Leahy’s Charges improve with another victory

St. Mary’s             3-13

Cappoquin             2-09

St. Mary’s Touraneena continued their winning way at rain lashed Fraher Field on Sunday eveining last when John Leahy’s charges followed up their first round win over Dungarvan by outscoring a gallant Cappoquin XV to advance to the semi-final stages of the IHC along with Colligan Rockies, Shamrocks and Ring.

St. Mary’s playing into the teeth of a strong breeze stamped their early authority on the proceedings as Eamon Dec Lonergan 7th minute, Seanie Kearns 11th minute and Jack Power 14th minute all raised green flags for the Touraneena side with Richie Scanlon latching onto a long range effort from Martin Power to score Cappoquin’s goal in the 17th minute.

Martin Power was by far and away Cappoquin’s best player here.  Still the cornerstone side had come somewhat back into contention with points from Martin Power and the dashing Keith Landers, 3-4 to 1-6 at the break.

St. Mary’s added four points on the turnover.  Three from the outstanding J. P. Fitzpatrick and one per Denis Coffey with Martin Power pulling one back for Cappoquin, 3-8 to 1-7 by the 42nd minute.

At this stage Cappoquin were reduced to 14 players when corner-back Timmy Looby picked up a second yellow card for a tackle on J.P. Fitzpatrick who pointed the subsquent free.

J.P. Fitzpatrick, Denis Coffey, John Fitzgerald, substitute Pa Hallinan who had come in at full-back for the injured Paul Condon, Tristan Hickey and Ian Dunford were all impressive for St. Marys who were leading by 3-13 to 1-9 by the 61st minute when substitute Frank McLaughlin scored Cappoquin’s second goal after a Martin Power free had been saved.  Declan Kiely received a second yellow card in the 56th minute.

Scorers: Seanie Kearns 1-0, Eamon Dec Lonergan 1-0, Jack Power 1-0, J.P. Fitzpatrick 0-8, Denis Coffey 0-4, Tristan Hickey 0-1.

Team: John Hallinan, Johnny McGrath, Paul Condon, John Queally, Declan Kiely, John Fitzgerald, Ian Dunford, JP Fitzpatrick, David Whelan, Tristan Hickey, Denis Coffey, Brian Whelan, Jack Power, Seanie Kearns, Eamon Dec Lonergan.

Subs: Pa Hallinan for Paul Condon, Kieran Hallahan for Brian Whelan, Adrian Lonergan for J.P. Fitzpatrick, Tom Queally for Jack Power.

Shamrocks back in Western Final

St. Mary’s                    1-06

Shamrocks                   1-08

Shamrocks Intermediate hurlers are back into this year’s Western Final as a result of a hard earned win over St. Mary’s (Touraneena) at the Fraher Field on Sunday afternoon last.

There could be no disputing Shamrocks victory here as they were the better overall team over the 66 minutes.  Yet, St. Mary’s battled to the last with J.P. Fitzpatrick throwing Mary’s a late lifeline as he drove a low ball to the net in the 60th minute.  While the Touraneena side was attacking at the final whistle, Shamrocks deserved their win with county hurlers Eoin Murphy being the best player on the pitch.

Priceless goal

St. Mary’s had first use of the strong breeze playing into the road goal.  The play was held up for 4 minutes while St. Mary’s keeper John Hallinan picked up a facial injury.  Both Seanie Kearns and Dan O’Neill threw away their helmets at this stage.

J.P. Fitzpatrick who was St. Mary’s best player opened the scoring with a 6th minute free.  County player Eoin Murphy leveled it up in the 10th minute with a pointed free from 45 yards out on the sideline.  Brian Whelan pointed from play in the 12th minute to put St. Mary’s in front again.

Shamrocks scored a priceless goal in the 15th minute when Eoin Murphy’s free from centre-field was added to by Dan O’Neill to get it through to Pat Murphy, who blasted to the net, 1-1 to 0-3.  The only other first-half score coming form J.P. Fitzpatrick in the 3rd minute of added-on time, 1-2 to 0-4 at the break.

On the turnover, Eoin Murphy and J.P. Fitzpatrick exchanged points as Eoin Murphy and John O’Donovan added further points, 1-5 to –05 by the 41st minute.  J.P. Fitzpatrick reduced the leeway with a point form a free.  Then Kieran O’Keeffe took over the free taking duties as he landed points in the 48th, 53rd and 55th minute, 1-8 to 0-6.  J.P. Fitzpatrick who stood out for St. Mary’s scored a 60th minute goal, yet Shamrocks held on for a deserved win.

Scorers:  J.P. Fitzpatrick 1-5, Brian Whelan 0-1.

Team:  John Hallinan, Paul Condon, Pa Hallinan, Willie Power, Declan Kiely, John Fitzgerald, Ian Dunford, J.P. Fitzpatrick, David Whelan, Tristan Hickey, Denis Coffey, Brian Whelan, Aiden Fitzpatrick, Seanie Kearns, Eamon Dec Lonergan.

Subs: Adrian Lonergan, Johnny McGrath, John Queally, Tom Queally, Quintan Hickey, John Ahearne, Jack Power, Aidan Hickey and J.J. Coffey.

Subs used: Johnny McGrath for Willie Power and J.J. Coffey for Eamon Dec Lonergan.


1st Round

Sliabh gCua        0-07

Ballinameela        0-10

Last year’s Western divisional champions had to fight all the way in this entertaining Intermediate football first round championship game played in the Colligan venue on Saturday last.  The game was end to end with both sides playing entertaining football, which remained in the balance for the large part of the game.

Ballinameela opened the scoring but the Touraneena men replied point of point until the 28th minute when Ballinameela opened a two-point lead and the score remain 0-6 to 0-4 at the break.

Sliabh gCua started the second half with good procession all around the field but could not put the scores on the board.  Ballinameela excellent point taking from long range proved to be the difference in the end.

Scorers:  David Whelan 0-4, Tom Queally 0-2 and Ian Dunford 0-1.

Team:  John Hallinan, Johnny McGrath, Declan Kiely, Willie Power, John Queally, John Fitzgerald, Tristan Hickey, David Whelan, Paul Condon, Denis Coffey, Tom Queally, Ian Dunford, Aiden Fitzpatrick, John Ahearne, J.P. Fitzpatrick. 

Subs: Pa Hallinan for John Ahearne.  Jack Power, Brian Whelan.

2nd Round

Sliabh gCua                  2-12

Kilgobnet                     2-09

Whelan’s Marksmanship a Feature

Overall I suppose a fair result, although Kilgobnet had chances to tie matters but Sliabh gCua’s over all strength and the ability to take scores was the difference.  The loss of John Byrne (injury) and Paul Radley (holidays) were body blows to Kilgobnet who were taking on a Sliabh gCua outfit that six days previous saw their hurling ambitions ended.  The game itself was entertaining and remained in the balance up to the final minutes. 

The Touraneena men led 2-5 to 1-5 at the break mainly due to the marksmanship of midfielder David Whelan.  J.P. Fitzpatrick and Aidan Fitzpatrick scored their goals in the first half.  Mark Radley played well at centre field for Kilgobnet and had scored three delightful points by half time. 

A Brendan Lynch Kilgobnet goal immediately after the break leveled matters, Whelan and Radley exchanged points, and Mark Radley lifted Bohadoon’s hopes in the 61st minute with a fine long-range point.  Ian Dunford replied and once again a Radley effort saw Kilgobnet lead 2-8 to 2-7.  Three further Whelan points put Sliabh gCua firmly in the driving seat.  Jim Walsh who had come on for Alan Fitzgerald replied for Kilgobnet while Seanie Kearns and J.P. Fitzpatrick concluded scoring matter, Sliabh gCua winning 2-12 to 2-9.

John Hallahan, Tristan Hickey, David Whelan, Denis Coffey, J.P. Fitzpatrick and Tom Queally served Sliabh gCua best.

Kilgobnet’s Brian Dunford, Mark Radley, Brendan Lynch, Tomas O’Brien, Vinny Lynch caught the eye.

Scorers:  A. Fitzpatrick 1-1, J.P. Fitzpatrick 1-1, D. Whelan 0-6, Ian Dunford 0-2, Denis Coffey 0-1 and Seanie Kearns 0-1.

Team:  John Hallinan, John Queally, Declan Kiely, Johnny McGrath, Tristan Hickey, J. Fitzgerald, Quentin Hickey, Paul Condon, David Whelan, Denis Coffey, Tom Queally, Ian Dunford, Aiden Fitzpatrick, J.P. Fitzpatrick, Kieran Hallahan. 

Subs: Seanie Kearns for Kieran Hallahan, Brian Whelan for Ian Dunford.

Referee: D. O’ Murchu (An Rinn)

3rd Round

Sliabh gCua                      2-11

Colligan Emmett’s            1-11

This game took an extraordinary turn in wind swept Fraher Field on Saturday afternoon.  Sliabh gCua having played with the strong wind held a first half lead of 1-7 to 0-5. 

In the second half Emmett’s went into the lead and looked to be heading for home when disaster struck in the form of an unexpected goad by J.P. Fitzpatrick to clinch the issue in favour of Sliabh gCua.

Scorers:  A. Fitzpatrick 1-3, J.P. Fitzpatrick 1-1, D. Whelan 0-3, Ian Dunford 0-2, Denis Coffey 0-1 and K. Hallahan 0-1.

Team:  John Hallinan, John Queally, Declan Kiely, Johnny McGrath, Tristan Hickey, J. Fitzgerald, Quentin Hickey, Paul Condon, Tom Queally, Denis Coffey, David Whelan, Ian Dunford, Aiden Fitzpatrick, J.P. Fitzpatrick, Kieran Hallahan. 

Subs: Seanie Kearns for Tom Queally.

4th Round

Sliabh gCua Snatch Late Winner

Sliabh gCua                  2-09

An Rinn                        1-11

A point from a free kicked over by David Whelan in the 65th minute, decided this evenly contested Intermediate football quarter final at Fraher Field on Saturday afternoon.  Trailing by a goal in the 59th minute, the Touraneena team looked to have their interest in the 2004 championship ending, but just a minute later David Whelan had the ball in the Gaeltacht team’s net to bring the teams on level terms in the 60th minute of the match.  Five minutes later the same player converted a free to give them a narrow one-point victory.  An Rinn had a chance to drew level again in the 66th minute but the resolute Sliabh gCua held out to win a place in the semi-final against Geraldine’s who surprisingly defeated Dungarvan on Sunday.


Sliabh gCua had the assistance of the breeze and opened with a 4th minute point scored by J.P. Fitzpatrick.  Two minutes later Mike Tobin converted a ‘45’ metre free to draw level.

A splendid Ian Dunford 12th minute goal saw Sliabh gCua press ahead again and a minute later David Whelan added a point.  Ian Dunford had another just on the 15th minute to leave the score 1-3 to 0-1.

Mike Tobin pointed his second free for An Rinn before J.P. Fitzpatrick hit back with two points to increase Sliabh gCua’s lead to six points.

Then misfortune struck for the Touraneena club when a ball, which goalkeeper John Hallinan seemed to have covered, was deflected away by Declan Kiely and found its way to the corner of the net for a goal for An Gaeltacht.  Mike Tobin followed with a point from a free and in the 29th minute, An Rinn had their first score from play when Seanie Mac Craith pointed.  Liam O’Lonain pointed to level the match in the 30th minute and in the dying seconds of the half, Shane O’Ceallaigh pointed An Rinn in the one point lead leaving the score at 1-6 to 1-5 at the break.

Second Half

Ian Dunford had the teams level after 2 minutes and in the 35th minute, Shane O’Ceallaigh had An Rinn back in front.  David Whelan equalized in the 39th and Mike Tobin had An Rinn ahead again in the 45th minute.

Shane O’Ceallaigh put An Rinn two points up before David Whelan and Mike Tobin exchanged points.  A fine Seanie Mac Craith point in the 59th minute seemed to copper fasten the result for the Gaeltacht team until the David Whelan referred to above brought the teams level once more.  

Then Whelan’s point from a free in the 65th minute brought the Touraneena team into the divisional semi-final against the Geraldine’s.

Scorers: David Whelan 1-4, Ian Dunford 1-2 and J.P. Fitzpatrick 0-3.

Team:  John Hallinan, Johnny McGrath, Declan Kiely, John Queally, Denis Coffey, John Fitzgerald, Tristan Hickey, Paul Condon, Quintan Hickey, Ian Dunford, David Whelan, Tom Queally, Aiden Fitzpatrick, J.P. Fitzpatrick, Kieran Hallahan.

Subs: Seanie Kearns, Tom Queally, John Ahearne, Brian Whelan, James Condon and Pa Hallinan. 

5th Round (semi-final)

Sliabh gCua        2-5

Geraldine’s        1-8

They’ll have to wait until this coming Saturday however to know who their final opponents will be after the second semi-final at the same venue on Sunday ended in stalemate with Sliabh gCua’s 2-5 tally being matched by Geraldine’s 1-8. The replay goes ahead, again at Fraher Field, on Saturday (2.30).

A draw was a fair result to the first semi-final with Ger Donovan’s magnificent 52nd minute equaliser no less than Geraldine’s deserved.  J. P. Fitzpatrick’s 25th minute goal helped Sliabh gCua to a deserved 1-2 to 0-4 lead, and when his brother Aidan also found the net within two minutes of the restart they looked to be on their way to victory. To their credit however the Ger’s never panicked and while they had a slice of luck for their equalising goal in the 39th minute when Caiman Radley excellently capitalised on a defensive blunder it was no more than they deserved.  

They went two clear when Donnacha Tobin brilliantly found the range from a sideline kick, but Sliabh gCua then hit a purple patch and points by J.P. Fitzpatrick, Kieran Hallahan and David Whelan regained them the lead before Donovan’s super equaliser set up Saturday’s replay. 

Scorers:  J.P. Fitzpatrick 1-1, A. Fitzpatrick 1-0, D. Whelan 0-3 and K. Hallahan 0-1.

Team:  John Hallinan, Willie Power, John Queally, Johnny McGrath, Declan Kiely, Denis Coffey, Tristan Hickey, Quentin Hickey, Paul Condon, Tom Queally, David Whelan, Ian Dunford, Aiden Fitzpatrick, J.P. Fitzpatrick, Kieran Hallahan. 

Subs: Seanie Kearns for Paul Condon.

5th Round (semi-final replay)

Sliabh gCua        1-07

Geraldine’s        0-07

Sliabh gCua win exciting replay

Sliabh gCua intermediate footballers came out on top in this exciting IFC semi-final replay at Dungarvan’s, Fraher Field on Sunday afternoon last.  The old adage that a good start is half the battle certainly applied here as Sliabh gCua had raced into a four point lead with just 4 minutes on the clock despite playing into the breeze as they defended the road goal.

In the opening attack J.P. Fitzpatrick was fouled and David Whelan pointed the resulted free, then in the 4th minute when Aidan Fitzpatrick was grounded in the square for a penalty.  Corner forward Kieran Hallahan, who was somewhat surprisingly substituted in the final quarter, coolly slotted the penalty kick to the net, 1-1 to 0-0.

Geraldine’s got off the mark in the 6th minute with a glorious point from right half forward Raymond Connery who was forced to retire coming up to the interval following an accidental collision with team mate Donnacha Tobin who resumed following treatment.  David Whelan (free) and Denis Coffey put Sliabh gCua five points to the good by the 10th minute, 1-3 to 0-1.

In fairness to Geraldine’s they were also playing some good football but were twice denied a goal as firstly a defender blocked down Donnacha Tobin’s effort and then John Hallinan dived full length to save from Caiman Radley and when Ian Dunford lifted the siege with a well taken point in the 22nd minute to leave it at 1-4 to 0-1, Sliabh gCua were very flattered to be six points clear.

Ger O’Donovan pointed three frees prior to the break with J.P. Fitzpatrick interjecting with a neat point in the 27th minute, 1-5 to 0-2 and little did we think that Sliabh gCua would not repeat another score until the 55th minute.  As the sides went in at the break, Sliabh gCua led by 1-5 to 0-4.

Geraldine’s Battle Back

On the turnover, it was Geraldine’s playing into the breeze who carried the game to Sliabh gCua as their half back trio of Johnny Healy, David Cullinane and Eamon Mernin really put up the shutter and Alan Ronayne and Ed Donovan were on top at centre of the field. 

Thus, by the 40th minute points per Donnacha Tobin, Ger O’Donovan and substitute Paudie Landers had reduced the leeway to just a single point, 1-5 to 0-7.

The issue was now back in the melting pot, as Sliabh gCua introduced three substitutes while Vivian Lonergan had come in at the interval for John Hallinan between the posts.

Seanie Kearns looked to be in for a possible goal only for the defenders to bottle him up and it was Sliabh gCua mentors decision to move Seanie Kearns back to centre half-back for the final 5 minutes play.  That effectively clinched the issue in their favor as Kearns bolstered up their defence in those crucial final moments. 

David Whelan pointed frees in the 55th and 58th minutes, 1-7 to 0-7.  Still Geraldine’s made one last desperate bid to save the day.  They won a close in free and Donnacha Tobin’s well directed free almost got through.  Kieran Cotter who had been sent outfield in a last throw of the dice grabbed the rebounding ball and drove a blistering shot goal-wards with substitute keeper Vivian Lonergan effecting a vital match winning save.

Scorers:  K. Hallahan 1-0, D. Whelan 0-3, J.P. Fitzpatrick 0-2, I. Dunford 0-1 and Denis Coffey 0-1.

Team:  John Hallinan, Willie Power, John Queally, Johnny McGrath, Declan Kiely, John Fitzgerald, Quentin Hickey, Paul Condon, Tristan Hickey, Denis Coffey, David Whelan, Ian Dunford, Aiden Fitzpatrick, J.P. Fitzpatrick, Kieran Hallahan. 

Subs: Vivian Lonergan for John Hallinan, Seanie Kearns for Aiden Fitzpatrick, Tom Queally for Kieran Hallahan, John Ahearne for Paul Condon.

Referee: Michael Condon (Clashmore)

Intermediate Western Final 

Brickey’s are champions after second half Blitz

Sliabh gCua                  1-06

Brickey’s                      4-08

Three rapid fire goals in the 39th, 41st and 42nd minutes made this title safe for Brickey Rangers and killed off the challenge of Sliabh gCua who had been a mere point in arrears at this stage.

In fact that halftime score of 0-6 to 0-5 in favour of the Brickey’s was a poor enough lead when considering that the leaders had played with a strong breeze advantage in the first half.

But overall the winners were more deserving of the title on the day as they were the better balanced team and played consistently good throughout the game, whereas Sliabh gCua played good at times and then seemed to lose their rhythm.  There were periods in the game when the Touraneena side was in control but they did not seem able to maintain the pressure that they had built up in the early part of the match.


The standard was very good and leaving out the goal blitz, it was a most enjoyable contest.  Late in the second half an unfortunate accident held up the game for some considerable time until the injured Tony Halpin was treated for a leg injury and was removed by ambulance to hospital.  The sportsmanship in the game was excellent.


J.P. Fitzpatrick opened with a Sliabh gCua point in the 6th minute and the sides were level in the 8th minute when Brickey’s team captain Olan Casey pointed for Brickey’s.

In the 12th and 13th minutes there was an exchange of points involving J.P. Fitzpatrick and Carthrach Shalloe put the Brickey’s in front in the 14th minute and two more were added by Carthrach Shalloe and Kieran O’Brien to leave the score 0-5 to 0-2 in the 19th minute.  Kieran Hallahan pointed for Sliabh gCua in the 27th minute and David Whelan followed with a score from a free in the 28th minute.  Shane McGrath brought one back for Brickey’s and David Whelan did likewise when pointing a great score just on the 30th minute.

Second Half

After 9 scoreless minutes, during which both teams lost chances of scoring, Dermot O’Neill gave the Sliabh gCua goalkeeper no chance when shooting from the side to score the first of the winners 4 goals.  Carthrach Shalloe followed with another in the 41dt minute and within a further minute Tony Halpin had the ball had the ball in the net to give the favourites an unassailable lead.  The Sliabh gCua defence must take thee blame here, but it would be less than justice of the Brickey’s to down grade the quality of the three goals.  Carthrach Shalloe added two Brickey points and David Whelan had Sliabh gCua first point of the second half in the 30th minute.  Richard Halpin shot Brickey’s 4th goal in the 64th minute and with added on time coming to an end, Kieran Hallahan goaled for Sliabh gCua.  Sliabh gCua regular goalkeeper John Hallinan was a non-starter due to injury.

Scorers: Kieran Hallahan 1-1, David Whelan 0-3 and J.P. Fitzpatrick 0-2.

Team:  Vivian Lonergan, Johnny McGrath, John Queally, Willie Power, Tristan Hickey, John Fitzgerald, Declan Kiely, Quentin Hickey, Paul Condon, Denis Coffey, David Whelan, Ian Dunford, Aiden Fitzpatrick, J.P. Fitzpatrick, Kieran Hallahan. 

Subs: Seanie Kearns, Tom Queally, John Ahearne, Brian Whelan, James Condon and Pa Hallinan.

Referee: John M. Kelly (Shamrocks)