January 16, 1960

‘Same root’ On exhibition at the hardware department of Knockmeal Co-op, Ballinamult was a huge turnip weighing 20lbs. It was grown on the farm of John Walsh, Curradoon, Ballinamult.


March 5, 1960

GAA transfers: St. Pat’s to Sliabh gCua – J Kiely, J Lonergan, S Lonergan, E Lonergan, T Kearns, P Butler, S Nugent & S Hickey. Valley Rovers to Sliabh gCua – T Hickey Ring to Sliabh gCua – N Power

A tournament was held in the Mill field on the 26th March between Newcastle and Fourmilewater. The scoreline finished Newcastle 4-6 to 2-0.

Touraneena met The Nire in the U-14 football championship on June 15th in Ballymac. Touraneena defeated The Nire on a scoreline of 3-3 to 2-2. The scores came from the boots of Micheal Quinlan (2-2) and Ned Power (1-1).

The team: John Fitzpatrick, P.J. Queally, Carthage Burke, Thomas McGrath, Ed Power, Gerry Cullinan, Tom Power, Micheal Quinlan (Captain), John Cliffe. Subs: Declan McCann, Michael Hennebry, Larry Hickey, and Roger Kirwan.

Valley Rovers played Cappoquin in the first round at the Fraher field, Dungarvan. Valley Rovers who were the holders, overcame the Cappoquin side. They defeated Tourin 5-10 to 0-3 in the quarter final. They played Ardmore in the final and were beaten by 1-6 to 0-4.

Among those who lined out that day were Mick Connolly at centre back, Tom Dolan, the Hewitt brothers, Johnny Walsh, Oliver Nugent and Austin Barron.


The Junior Hurling Championship started with Fourmilewater receiving a walkover from Eire Og on Sunday 4th April at Ballymac. Fourmilewater lost the Western semi final to Colligan on a scoreline of 7-4 to 2-3.

The team was: Piery Butler, Johnny Kiely, P Halpin, S Hickey, T Hickey, M Connolly, Jim Ahearne, Kieran Ryan, M Walsh, A Barron, B Whelan, Jimmy Hewitt, Paddy Phelan, Liam Ryan, Billy Grant.


19th January 1963

Touraneena to form GAA Club

A meeting will be held in Touraneena National School on Thursday night next, 17th January, at 8pm for the purpose of forming a GAA club in the parish. In the past this parish was one of the strongholds of hurling and football and produced many outstanding exponents in both codes. However, in recent years the club was allowed to lapse and many of their players threw in their lot with other clubs.

Now County Councillor, Sean Whelan and other enthusiasts are attempting to revive the club. It is never pleasing to see once powerful Gaelic centre falling on lean times and the return of Touraneena to the championship scene would be welcomed by the county over.

Saturday, 9th February 1963

At a recent meeting of the newly formed Touraneena GAA Club, it was decided to field a primary football team for this years championship. The following officers wer elected: President: Rev. Fr. Mulcahy CC. Secretary: Mr. Thomas Hickey. Treasurer: Mr. Sean Whelan, MCC.



In the league Windgap defeated the Nire, Windgap 1-6 Nire 1-5. The Touraneena men who played that day were Austin Barron who scored 0-3 points and Christy Hallinan at wing back in March 16, 1968.

Knockmeal Co-op social annual staff dance was on in the Boathouse, Cappoquin, music by Avengers Showband, Athlone on the 9th of June.

In the Junior championship the Nire lost the first round to Clashmore/Kinsalebeg 0-9 to 0-7

Valley Rovers beat Cappoquin 3-08 to 2-06 in the first round of the Junior football Championship.

Team: J Ryan, Phil Hart, Pat Cleary, Michael Cleary, John Fitzpatrick, Billy Acheson, John Acheson, A Fahey, J Cleary, Coleman Walsh, Michael Ryan, Liam Bradshaw, N Hewitt, Oliver Nugent, L Flynn.

Valley Rovers drew with Clashmore in the second round of the Championship on a scoreline of 1-7 to 2-4. The replay was won by Valley Rovers on a scoreline of 2-4 to 1-4. Two members of the Clashmore team were suspended for twelve months after the first game. They were Liam and Pablo O’ Rourke. Ardmore were the opponents in the Western Final but proved to be too strong for the Valley Rovers side. The game ended 1-5 to 0-4. Ardmore were beaten in the county final by Ballyduff/Portlaw in a replay 2-5 to 0-6.


Fourmilewater 4-10, Tourin 5-7 – draw. The replay scoreline was 2-7 to 2-7, also a draw but in the final game Tourin overcame Fourmilewater in the third outing. Tourin went on to play Stradbally in the Western Final.


1969 was probably the most important year for us – application was made to form the Sliabh gCua/St. Mary’s GAA club. Below is the ORIGINAL letter written to Fr. Crowley in 1969. This document is of extreme sentimental value to our club’s history.

3 - 1969 letter